I decided to start this blog after my son was diagnosed with food allergies. For the first seven months of his life he suffered with terrible eczema and after a trip to the ER we found out he is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, sesame and peanuts. As a parent of a child with food allergies it is a constant emotional rollercoaster. I have cried at grocery stores, at birthday parties and at night. He has had the Epi injection twice and spent too much time in the ER.

Current allergies: Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree nuts
Outgrew: Sesame, Soy

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Gestational Diabetes and Soy

I failed my one hour glucose test. Damn.  There is still a chance I don't have diabetes but since I had Gestational Diabetes while pregnant with Aiden, I'm pretty sure I have it now also.   When the nurse called to tell me the news I was eating M&M's, which is what I usually do at 2pm.  I put the rest of the M&M's on my co-workers desk and started my diet.  I came home and I was starving so I made myself a piece of whole wheat toast with butter.

While I'm eating it Aiden runs into the kitchen and snatches my toast and takes a bite.  I could have stopped him but deep down I wanted him to try something with soy since soy is his weakest allergy and I felt like he grew out of it.  The toast was the only thing in our house that has soybean oil in it.  He took a bite and a few seconds later had a full blown tantrum for more.  I guess he like sit.  I gave him the rest of the toast and hide the bread, otherwise he would eat the entire loaf.

I watched him like a hawk for the next 30 minutes. But there was nothing. No reaction. No scratching. No rash. No uncomfortable feelings. Just same ol' Aiden playing with his cars.  I almost cried! Wait, I did. But that could have been due to my migraine.

Saturday morning I gave him another piece of toast and he devoured it.  Later that day another piece of toast.  Saturday night he woke up twice in the middle of the night and cried but went back to sleep.  Sunday he got more toast and later that day I noticed he has an invisible diaper rash.  He's in pain during diaper change but no rash.  Sunday night he woke up crying again but there was a thunderstorm.

Monday my nanny gave him one piece of toast and when I came home the diaper rash was visible, but a little different.  Usually when he has a diaper rash it's a red rash, this time there were little red bumps all over his butt.  So we're stopping toast for a month until his system clears and then next month try again. If he gets another diaper rash and wakes up in the middle of the night than we know he's not ready for soy.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment