I decided to start this blog after my son was diagnosed with food allergies. For the first seven months of his life he suffered with terrible eczema and after a trip to the ER we found out he is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, sesame and peanuts. As a parent of a child with food allergies it is a constant emotional rollercoaster. I have cried at grocery stores, at birthday parties and at night. He has had the Epi injection twice and spent too much time in the ER.

Current allergies: Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree nuts
Outgrew: Sesame, Soy

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Our food supply is dangerous!

I am reading a book called The China Study and as a vegetarian, one particular comment struck me hard. The author called some vegetarians as junk food vegetarians and after looking at my diet, I am exactly that.  I always thought I was so much healthier because I'm a vegetarian but recently I have been doing a ton of research about the food I have been eating for so many years.
"some people become vegetarian only to gorge on refined carbohydrate pasta made with refined grains, sweets, pastries, dairy, and added oils in place of meat. I refer to these people as junk food vegetarians because they are not consuming a nutritious diet.  In addition to eating the wrong kind of plant based diet weight loss maybe elusive if a person never engages in any physical activity"

I am about 11 weeks pregnant and when people ask me what gender do I prefer, I usually answer the one without food allergies.  I no longer blame myself for giving Aiden these allergies. I blame our food supply and I blame the money-hungry industry that will do anything and everything just to make the food we trust -faster and bigger for more profitability. I blame the Bocca burgers I ate daily which have been re-engineered. The only way to feel safe is to find food that is 100% organic and food that have a simple "NON-GMO" stamp on the box.


It seems like we have to ask for a raise just to afford healthy food for our family. Just because you are buying fruits or vegetables no longer means you are healthy since most of them are covered in pesticides.

The video below has changed my life. It has changed how I look at food and how I will live my life and how I will feed my family for the rest of our lives.  This is a long way from home because I was raised on Kielbasa, uncooked hot-dogs, fried foods and desert after every meal.

Robyn O'Brien talks about an eye opening statistic...

US has the highest rates of cancer in the world!

1 out of 2 American Men and 1 out of 3 American Women are expected to get cancer in their lifetime. 
1 out of 8 Women have breast cancer
1 in 10 of those breast cancer patients are genetic
9 in 10 are environmentally triggered
"is there something foreign in our food now that was not there when we were kids?  in the 1990's a new protein was engineered in our food supply. "

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the pregnancy!

    My mom (who raised me vegetarian) had a friend who, many many years ago, referred to them/us as Hostess HoHo vegetarians. I haven't been able to make the life shift yet, but I know if my baby's food sensitivities turn into allergies I will have to.

    ReplyDelete