I decided to start this blog after my son was diagnosed with food allergies. For the first seven months of his life he suffered with terrible eczema and after a trip to the ER we found out he is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, sesame and peanuts. As a parent of a child with food allergies it is a constant emotional rollercoaster. I have cried at grocery stores, at birthday parties and at night. He has had the Epi injection twice and spent too much time in the ER.

Current allergies: Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree nuts
Outgrew: Sesame, Soy

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Vegan = Allergies

Aiden's pediatrician mentioned to me that she has two child patients with allergies and both mothers were vegetarian during the pregnancy, I'm one of those mothers. This made me wonder if by being a vegetarian I created some of these allergies for him by not exposing him before he was even born.

This doesn't mean I will be eating meat during my next pregnancy, but I need to figure out if 1) this is true and 2) what supplement/foods can I eat to avoid another allergic child.

In my mind it sounds like it may be the reason for his allergies but it doesn't explain the sesame and peanut allergy since I ate a ton of peanut butter during my pregnancy. Or perhaps you can't have too little or too much of something.

On a side note...

It's possible that Aiden developed another allergy since he has been scratching like crazy for the past couple of days. We are suspicious that he may be allergic to something in the Aquaphore cream which sounds crazy to me since we've been using it every night on his neck but it may explain why he mainly scratched his neck at night. Couple of days ago I decided to use Aquaphore on his entire body and he woke up screaming and scratching his tummy and arms. He had a very visible rash on his body and it was mainly on the parts where I put Aquaphore on.

Right now we are only using Cedaphil on his body and Vaseline on his neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment