I decided to start this blog after my son was diagnosed with food allergies. For the first seven months of his life he suffered with terrible eczema and after a trip to the ER we found out he is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, sesame and peanuts. As a parent of a child with food allergies it is a constant emotional rollercoaster. I have cried at grocery stores, at birthday parties and at night. He has had the Epi injection twice and spent too much time in the ER.

Current allergies: Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree nuts
Outgrew: Sesame, Soy

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

French Toast (milk/soy/egg/nut free)

Pinterest seriously rocks! I constantly find awesome allergy friendly recipes on it.  Most recent one was this amazing french toast recipe.  I can't believe how yummy it is, it can almost pass for desert.  It is milk, soy, egg, nut free (you can probably make it gluten free also with the right GF bread).

Ingredients and directions are taken from the "Cook It Allergy Free" blog with some alterations.

Ingredients:
3 ripe bananas
1 Cup of dairy free milk
2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 Tbsp flax meal
6-8 slices of bread
2 Tbsp Oil or butter for skillet (skillet must be greased in between batches)


Directions:
1.  Blend bananas, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and flax, in blender
2.  Gently dip bread slices into the mix, coating both sides well.
3.  Fry in oil until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
4. Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I'm drooling looking at this photo!  The bananas have a natural sweetness to them that you really don't need too much syrup, if any.  

My food allergy pinterest board

2 comments:

  1. What kind of bread do you use? My son has the same allergies, and I am having trouble finding bread with no egg, dairy, soy or nuts
    THank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my local stop & shop store has bread that is free of milk/soy/eggs/nuts, they bake it locally. But for the past few weeks I've been making this bread myself - http://www.frugallivingnw.com/frugal-homemaking/amazing-no-knead-bread-step-by-step-recipe/ I have made it 3 times already and it's AMAZING! Once you get the right tools and the hang of it, it becomes so easy. Even my first attempt it was great. I put the ingredients at night together (5 minutes) and when i get home from work the next day i do the rest. And all you need is flour, water, salt and yeast -which is what a bread should only have. hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete