I decided to start this blog after my son was diagnosed with food allergies. For the first seven months of his life he suffered with terrible eczema and after a trip to the ER we found out he is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, sesame and peanuts. As a parent of a child with food allergies it is a constant emotional rollercoaster. I have cried at grocery stores, at birthday parties and at night. He has had the Epi injection twice and spent too much time in the ER.

Current allergies: Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree nuts
Outgrew: Sesame, Soy

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Epipen injection

I was driving home yesterday at 3:30pm and when I hit traffic (about a mile or two from home) I looked at my phone and noticed I had 4 missed calls, 2 from my nanny and 2 from my husband.  I called my husband's cell (strange that he wasn't at work) and he started freaking out why I don't answer my phone. He yelled that the nanny had to give our son the epipen. My heart sank and my pregnant belly began to cramp and I went into the ugly cry.

I get on the emergency lane and pass the traffic and pray a cop doesn't pull me over. If one does, I will pray for pity. I get home about five minutes after the call and my nanny still wasn't home. My husband is another 5 minutes away.  I called the nanny and she said she's walking him back from the playground now.  I gather my diaper bag and some other stuff so that we can take him to the ER when they and my husband gets here.

I see my nanny speed walking with the stroller and she clearly was shaken up. Aiden was just dazed and confused with boogers all over his face and dry tears.  When he saw me and I picked him up I though he was going to choke me from squeezing my neck so tight. He would not let me go.  She showed me the used epi pen and Aiden imminently started saying "no no no no."

So this is what happened... My nanny takes Aiden to the playground behind a kindergarten school. They were playing with another little girl and her nanny (our neighbors) and the little girl started eating something from the ground and Aiden followed. My nann said he swallowed some stuff before she noticed anything and then she noticed popcorn on the ground and some in his mouth. She noticed his face getting a massive rash around his mouth so the other nanny started telling my nanny to take Aiden into the school where there was a nurse (there is a summer program in progress).  The nurse wanted to give him benadryl but my nanny wasn't sure if he could have it, even though it's all over my house and I always mention to her that he always has benadryl, so my nanny and the nurse watched him for a few minutes and his face was getting worse. His face began to swell and since he did ingest something they were afraid he might go into shock and the nurse advised my nanny to give him the epipen.  She did and his skin imminently cleared up and they watched him for a few minutes and headed home.

We took him to the ER and everyone, including Aiden's pediatrician, the ER pediatrician, my allergist all said that she did the right thing. Thankfully she has watched the epipen video in the past and we have had many conversations about it. But better be safe than sorry. If she has doubts -give the epipen.

Later that night my husband went back to the park to look for the popcorn but there was nothing. The evidence was gone.  I'm curious what kind of popcorn was it and what other food, if any, did he eat.  A few people told me that some popcorn is made in peanut oil.  Scary.

I hate food allergies. They suck and they are ruining our lives.  I'm exhausted from the worrying and I'm tired of seeing my nanny's number come up on my phone because I imminently think something happened.   I have a fear of "THAT CALL" and I'm so scared for the future.

I can't imagine what would have happened if he was eating peanuts and she didn't notice. It was a wake up call for everyone and hopefully there are no more incidents like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment