I decided to start this blog after my son was diagnosed with food allergies. For the first seven months of his life he suffered with terrible eczema and after a trip to the ER we found out he is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, sesame and peanuts. As a parent of a child with food allergies it is a constant emotional rollercoaster. I have cried at grocery stores, at birthday parties and at night. He has had the Epi injection twice and spent too much time in the ER.

Current allergies: Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree nuts
Outgrew: Sesame, Soy

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Allergy Friendly Rice Balls

Allergy Friendly Rice Balls

1 c rice
1 ¼ c rice milk (soy/water is ok)
¼ c rice cheese (daiya) **
(if I don’t use cheese, I use almond butter)
¼ c steamed and pureed veggies **
1 t agave nectar **
½ t cinnamon **
1 c Crushed cereal or breadcrumbs (I use rice crisps or cheerios)


Cook the rice in rice milk (or water)
Stir in rice cheese (or almond butter)
Stir in veggies. I use carrots and broccoli. They should be as dry as possible.
Stir in agave nectar and cinnamon
Add ½ c crushed cereal (I use rice krispies) to the mix
Mix all together
Make small balls out of the mix
Roll the ball in the remainder of the crushed cereal.
Bake for 7 to 10 minutes

**Optional (you can leave as much out or add pretty much anything to this)

This is such a versatile recipe. You can bake it, fry it, put it on a pan or toast it. You can add mushrooms, you can use brown rice, white rice or yellow rice.  You can play around with it being vegan or non-vegan.  I use specific ingredients because of my son’s allergies and he loves this!   You can add almond butter or peanut butter or sun flower butter.  Cheese or no cheese. Cereal or bread crumbs.

This is such a great way to add veggies to your child's diet.  Aiden just kept pooping them into his mouth. 


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment