I decided to start this blog after my son was diagnosed with food allergies. For the first seven months of his life he suffered with terrible eczema and after a trip to the ER we found out he is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, sesame and peanuts. As a parent of a child with food allergies it is a constant emotional rollercoaster. I have cried at grocery stores, at birthday parties and at night. He has had the Epi injection twice and spent too much time in the ER.

Current allergies: Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree nuts
Outgrew: Sesame, Soy

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fish, Chicken, Beef, Beans, Avocados..

...Those might be Aiden's new allergies. I am not a happy Mommy right now..  He has these two massive blisters on his head which is a result of a reaction.  I have been giving Aiden Bisque pancakes for a while now and I guess I forgot to check the ingredients after we realized he's also allergic to Soy because there are Soybeans in the ingredients. I've been getting the yellow box, instead of the white box which is soy free.  I don't know how that's possible because I check EVERYTHING and I have no clue how I missed the ingredients on that box.  He didn't eat much and I always though he just didn't like pancakes, but what kid doesn't like pancakes? Well, it probably bothered him. 

As soon as I offer meat to him he acts like its poison so I stopped since it possibly IS poison to him. When I give him beans he spits them out, sometimes gags, and makes weird faces.  Again, might be bothering him.  Avocados just seem to always give him tummy problems and a rash.  I am pretty sure that he is allergic to fish, maybe not all fish, but definitely Pollack fish.  We offered it to him this past weekend and he had a rash on his face, neck and body. Lovely.

Can this child catch a break and just have a regular slice of pizza like all the other kids? Fine, he doesn’t need pizza, but damn it –stop it with all the new allergies. 

We are going to see a new allergist on March 4th and I am super anxious!  An hour doesn’t go by that I do not think about the appointment.  I imagine having his blood work come back and the results all show that he outgrew everything and then I snap back into reality and realize that he has these massive blisters on his head which is a confirmation that he still has reactions.

I thought all of this would get easier.  Feeding him does gets easier but everything else does not.  Having family over is overwhelming. Last time we had a few family members over, one of them took out a peanut butter sandwich while my son was a few feet away. I was lost for words. I know kissing him is not allowed but I still see the same person that had the peanut butter sandwich kiss him way too close to the lips.  It sounds so selfish and rude to tell people NOT to kiss him and not to bring food into our house, but I would rather be the bitch of the family than have a dead child.  Sometimes I just want to scream. Sometimes I do.  I have seen people roll their eyes at me and make faces, but they just don’t get it. I don’t think they ever will.  We are making new rules and they will be known. No one is allowed to feed our child, this way he will learn that all food has to come from Mommy or Daddy. No kisses on the face. I am teaching him how Eskimos kiss and how to blow kisses.  I just don’t want someone else's lips on my child’s face.  I can see how that can sound to a person that never dealt with allergies, but to me, it sounds like a I’m saving my sons life. 

My oh so yummy Rice Puddiing
Aiden hates anything fancy. If i add some delicious spices to his food he will not eat it. But if it's plain and yummy, he will devour it.

This rice pudding cannot be any simpler to make and it has NO added sugar -oh yeah.

1 1/4 cup of (rice) milk
1 cup of white minute rice
(may need to add a tad more milk)
Sprinkle cinnamon

That's it. yup. now that's simple.

Yesterday I went even further. I added 2 Tbs of Almond butter, crushed rice krispies, steamed pureed broccoli and carrots. Mixed together.  Made little balls and coated them in rice krispies (semi-crushed). Baked for 10 minutes at 300. 

He has a ton of protein (almond butter), calcium (broccoli and milk) and a ton of vitamins.  Can I get a gold star now?  Days like this makes me want to dance around the house screaming he ate it! he ate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment