I decided to start this blog after my son was diagnosed with food allergies. For the first seven months of his life he suffered with terrible eczema and after a trip to the ER we found out he is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, sesame and peanuts. As a parent of a child with food allergies it is a constant emotional rollercoaster. I have cried at grocery stores, at birthday parties and at night. He has had the Epi injection twice and spent too much time in the ER.

Current allergies: Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree nuts
Outgrew: Sesame, Soy

Friday, December 3, 2010

milk and food

I'm done :(  I can't believe the sadness I feel. I didn't think it would be this hard to stop giving him my milk but it is.  I do give myself credit for being able to hang on for 13 months and most of that time was mainly breast milk.  But now Aiden is only on Rice Milk and I'm not happy about that.  I don’t have a choice since he wants nothing to do with coconut milk and I’m just unsure about hemp milk.  So Rice milk is our only alternative.   I feel like he’s drinking carbs all day long though. 

I have an appointment with his nutritionist next week to help me figure out a way to feed him better.  I feel kind of silly calling his pediatrician and telling her that he’s not eating –HELP! Because after talking to a bunch of friends and co-workers it seems that a lot of 13+ month old children do not like to eat or are very picky. One co-workers child eats bread and cheese all day long. Another eats only pretzels.  The list goes on.  Aiden on the other hand eats. Sort of. He loves his edan pasta which has protein.  He loves his pizza (with rice cheese). He loves oatmeal . That’s about it.  He has oatmeal for breakfast, pasta /pizza for lunch, pasta/pizza for dinner and sometimes oatmeal again if dinner isn’t finished.  So he does eat. But I don’t think there is much of nutrition in there so I want ideas.  He doesn’t eat meat, which I am happy about but he also doesn’t eat beans or other protein substitutes.   I want to prevent him from becoming anemic but at the same time I hope I’m not over reacting and sending him to the nutritionist but in the mean time he’s doing great.

Here is my gorgeous baby.. yeah, I'm lucky!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment