I decided to start this blog after my son was diagnosed with food allergies. For the first seven months of his life he suffered with terrible eczema and after a trip to the ER we found out he is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, sesame and peanuts. As a parent of a child with food allergies it is a constant emotional rollercoaster. I have cried at grocery stores, at birthday parties and at night. He has had the Epi injection twice and spent too much time in the ER.

Current allergies: Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree nuts
Outgrew: Sesame, Soy

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

...soy

Soy is just another thing Adien and I are taking out of our diet.  Today is my first day and so far I only had breakfast which was oatmeal with banana.  I have no idea what I'm going to do for lunch and dinner. This Friday we may also be taking wheat out of our diet.

We took Aiden to the doctor yesterday because he has been having constant diarrhea for the past couple of weeks, anywhere from three to six times a day.   His doctor suspects that he may have developed an allergy to soy.  We also fear that he may have Celiac disease and he'll have to go gluten free for the rest of his life.  It's not the end of the world living with Celiac but when you already have so many allergies, it becomes harder than anyone can imagine. 

Yesterday was a hard day for the three of us.  The doctor couldn’t find his vein so he kept getting poked with a needle, not the best feeling for an 11.5 month old. He had four diarrheas.  He had a terrible diaper rash.  He hasn’t gained any weight in about four months. He was gasping for air from time to time which is a huge sign he is developing asthma.  Another thing we noticed last night was that he’s loosing hair.  Jared actually noticed it a while ago and has been mentioning it to me but I just though he is crazy because he is so nuts over hair.  When Aiden was sitting watching his cartoon’s I finally noticed the bold spots and I got a very uneasy feeling.  But the best part about the day was how much he smiled and laughed and played. I tear up thinking of how strong he is. He really is such a happy baby despite all the diaper changes and needles and food choices.  I know it could be a lot worse since we do have a very happy baby, but I just want things to be normal.

Meal time is going to be so hard. He’s not a fan of meat, actually he gags every time I put a piece of chicken near him so he has been eating tofu daily for the past couple of weeks, which is right around the same time his diarrhea started.   It also seems that he has a “blow out” right after he has anything with wheat, which sounds like celiac symptoms.  He has been waking up three or more times at night crying hysterically, we try to feed him but he usually just eats half an ounce and that’s it.  It seems like something is bothering him and we’re scarred it may be his tummy since that is another sign of celiac.

It would be really easy just to stop breast feeding him and just give him formula since he’s almost one but if he has an allergy to cow’s milk and soy and nuts than that limits him to only rice milk which is not the healthiest choice.  If I continue to breastfeed, he can continue to have the proper amount.

I hope this gets easier.

Here is Aiden a few days ago playing outside. Happy as a pig in mud.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment