I decided to start this blog after my son was diagnosed with food allergies. For the first seven months of his life he suffered with terrible eczema and after a trip to the ER we found out he is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, sesame and peanuts. As a parent of a child with food allergies it is a constant emotional rollercoaster. I have cried at grocery stores, at birthday parties and at night. He has had the Epi injection twice and spent too much time in the ER.

Current allergies: Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree nuts
Outgrew: Sesame, Soy

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Choices

Being a vegetarian was a piece of cake for me. All I really avoided was flesh. I still had soup with chicken broth. I cooked my veggie patties along side my husband's chicken patty. Seemed pretty easy -just avoid chewing on meat. I fooling myself! I thought I stopped eating meat in January 2006, but I really stopped eating meat June 2010.

My worst fear was limiting my food choices but after doing some research and surfing the internet a bit too much I discovered that I actually have more choices than when I ate meat. I know, crazy isn't it?

I am so much more conscious of what I eat and how I make my food. I no longer go to a drug store for shampoo and on my way out have an entire cadbury chocolate bar. I now pass by the tray of cookies that sits near my desk at work and don't have an urge to eat the entire tray. I can actually do my food shopping and not eat an entire muffin while wheeling my shopping cart through the isles. I make lists. I research. I think and it's fantastic.

Best part is, I fit into pants that were tight on me 10 years ago. I never thought I was over weight but after loosing 30 pounds I realized I really was. 

These sites were my starting guide...

VegDining
VefGuid
CookVeg
Vegan-food

No comments:

Post a Comment