I decided to start this blog after my son was diagnosed with food allergies. For the first seven months of his life he suffered with terrible eczema and after a trip to the ER we found out he is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, sesame and peanuts. As a parent of a child with food allergies it is a constant emotional rollercoaster. I have cried at grocery stores, at birthday parties and at night. He has had the Epi injection twice and spent too much time in the ER.

Current allergies: Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree nuts
Outgrew: Sesame, Soy

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Summer time

Summer is almost here and this is the time to jump up and down with excitement because this means more play time at the park.  This means waking up Sunday mornings and going to the restaurants and sitting outside while having those yummy pancakes for brunch. It's time to grab our beach towels and head towards the water for some fun in the sand.  This means it's time to barbeque every weekend.  Visiting friends and having lots of play dates on the green grass.

The ice cream truck will make its way onto our block while the kids scream Ice Cream! Ice Cream!  I couldn’t wait for Aiden to be big enough for the Ice Cream truck. I pictured him running to us for money so that he can get a rainbow pop. 

But this is not our story, just a dream we once had.  I tear up just thinking about how many restrictions we have. How much planning goes into a simple trip to a friend's house.  Making sure everyone around us is aware Aiden has food allergies to avoid any accidents. Educating everyone and ourselves every second of the day. Going to the park scares me because the child next to him could have had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich ten minutes ago and now he's touching the swing set my son is playing on. Do I wipe everything down before Aiden touches it? It’s impossible. 

I should have the luxury of just watching Aiden play and savoring every moment, every smile, every “look mom!" comment.  Instead I worry every second he is not at home.  I will do my best to focus on fun, not food this summer.

This is my awesome family. Me--my brother--my husband--Aiden--my mom--my step-dad. 

Is it possible that everyone here is looking at the camera? wow.. impressive.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment