I decided to start this blog after my son was diagnosed with food allergies. For the first seven months of his life he suffered with terrible eczema and after a trip to the ER we found out he is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, sesame and peanuts. As a parent of a child with food allergies it is a constant emotional rollercoaster. I have cried at grocery stores, at birthday parties and at night. He has had the Epi injection twice and spent too much time in the ER.

Current allergies: Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree nuts
Outgrew: Sesame, Soy

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Stressed to the newest level

Having a picky eater is stressful.  Having a picky eater with food allergies is painful.  Having TWO picky eaters can make you go crazy!  My 1 year old (no allergies) is becoming worse than my 3 year old (allergies) and it's making me go nuts! 

We finally realized that my little guy is milk intolerant but it's not the worst news since we don't have dairy in the house anyways and because it's not going to kill him if he accidentally has dairy.  Since he started eating solids we gave him loads of varieties and never held back when it came to feeding him. He ate everything we gave him and we were excited to finally have a child who eats.  That all ended last week and today I couldn't take it anymore and left the house.  I left my two hungry kids with my poor husband. 

My 3.5 year old who is allergic to milk, eggs, nuts (and avoiding soy) only eats chicken nuggets, pasta, plain granola and sometimes toast with jelly.   But out of those 4 items, he usually just wants pasta.  He wakes up asking for pasta. Wants pasta for lunch and for dinner. Can a child survive eating only these foods? No veggies and no fruit and hardly any protein. I wonder how he even has energy.  We try every single day to give him some sort of veggies. Today was the first time I sent him up to his room and into time-out because I made him toast but he didn't want it so he asked for nuggets, I made nuggets and wouldn't eat them so he asked for pasta.  I'm constantly throwing food out.  So I couldn't take it anymore and threw him into time-out and then in his room.  Not my proudest moment but we all at some point just loose it.

My 1.5 year old has a fear of food being hot lately.  I'm pretty sure my nanny burned him sometime last week because this change was very sudden.  She, of course, denied it.   Even when it's something completely cold he will freak out that it's hot. He use to eat everything and since last week he barely eats anything.  Today he only had a smoothie and plain pasta. 

I wish I was home with them every day than I could work on their eating habits.  Even then I wonder if it would make a difference.  I'm so worn out just trying to feed them.  Even with their restrictions there are so many options which makes it so much more frustrating.  If there were no options than I would understand.


No comments:

Post a Comment